Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Lean, Mean, Cutting Machine!

Phew! I've been SUPER busy since my last post. My boyfriend and I went to Shiner, Texas (another post on that in a few days). I've also been bust printing, laminating, and cutting things for my classroom.


After registering for both the New Teacher Academy and my new school district's regular professional development, I realized I had this week and the week after next left in my summer... yikes! I've pretty much given up on getting access to my classroom anytime in the next few weeks. So, to keep my anxiety at bay, I decided to go ahead and start on the classroom decorations. I bought some black fadeless paper and some aqua, yellow, and pink polka-dot borders to layer up. This year I'm going with a black chalkboard and neon theme. I saw this post on Your Life: Embellished and how she layered her borders and just knew I had to do the same. Later I ended up going all the way to Lakeshore and got yellow chevron border to try this with! If it looks cute, I will buy more colors of chevron border.

Anyways, I digress. I spent $75 at OfficeMax on printing things from Kinder Craze (would have been $120 if my new school district didn't have an account with OfficeMax, allowing me to get a HUGE discount). The following day, I had to clean my old apartment out anyways, so I stopped at Lakeshore first and spent a while laminating the things myself. OfficeMax charges $4.50 per foot for lamination, Kinkos/FedEx charges $15 per foot, and Teacher Heaven charges $.80. Teacher Heaven is closer, but Lakeshore is like half of the price, and is by my old apartment. It was perfect, and I saved a lot of money by waiting in the line and laminating SIXTY FEET of printed things from Kinder Craze. I know, I'm OBSESSED. 

As I was laminating, the guy working and the older teacher on the laminator next to me joked about who on earth was going to help me cut the lamination. The answer was no one. Oh well. After paying for my lamination and chevron border, I headed to my old apartment to give it one last cleaning before we turn in the keys in a few days. 

All Clean!


Anyways. The following pictures are of some of the things I cut out. 

Name Plates
Calendar Headings


Color Words
Rainbow Number Line!!


Domino Numbers and Subatizing Dots
Shape cards

By the end of the first night, my thumb went numb from the scissors. I knew something had to be done (PS. No, I did NOT cut all of those in one night!). 

The aforementioned older teacher at Lakeshore mentioned that at Michael's they sell mini paper cutters, but they call them trimmers. So when I had to go to Walmart a couple days later, I thought to check their craft section, and sure enough, they had this little guy for 20 bucks. 


Honestly? You get what you pay for. I had looked into the ones from Michaels, and they were twice as expensive, but probably better quality. After a few uses, Mr. X started making this AWFUL squeaking noise that woke up both animals in the apartment. So I gave up on using it to cut any of the big stuff. However, when I got to the calendar numbers...this little guy was my best friend. In the Kinder Craze calendar numbers, there are numbers for each month, plus two themes for October, November, AND December. Plus, instead of just going 1-31, each month goes to 34 (what??) and then has two extras for months that have the 24/30 or whatever overlapping on the calendar flip chart. thats 36 pieces per month, for not just twelve but FIFTEEN months. That's 540 calendar numbers. Yeah. So my cheap little cutter came in handy once I got used to using it!


I put each in a labeled ziploc for now. I plan on doing something like this post on Rowdy in Room 300. But for now, with no classroom, these will do nicely. 

Everything printed, cut, and laminated.

Next stop? After I have a classroom, I will still need to do the same thing with my teacher planner and, more importantly, my library (Ahhh it's set up for kinder, not second grade!).

Other things I've been up to? Making my own coordinating behavior chart, peeling off and redesigning and sticking on labels for my teacher toolbox, and making a teacher planner. I started to make my own, but after I finished the cover page and calendars, I didn't really know where to go from there. Maybe next year! So purchased this one from A Modern Teacher. I don't know all of the info yet, so I can't have it printed, but I'm so excited to use the Rainbow Chalkboard design!!

Neon/Chalkboard Clip Chart

****Edit 8/4/15 - WOW! A lot of people are interested in using this clip chart! I never expected it to get so popular! Click on the link above to be brought to the clip chart in my TPT store!

****Edit 7/15/16 - I've uploaded another version of this clip chart, this time with a major facelift!

As you can see, it's more colorful and has cute little pictures on there to help my ESL kiddos who are new to the class understand a bit more of what it means to move down. I also included THREE different "wall of fame" options, PLUS a weekly behavior sheet that is bilingual! Enjoy!








*********************************************************************************
Cover of my new Teacher Planner!

My teacher toolbox from last year with updated labels :)

As I said, I've been very busy. I've moved into planning for my first week, without knowing any of the curriculum my new school will use...if anyone has any tips to offer for the first few weeks of second grade, I'd love to hear them!

Until next time, Mischief Managed.
post signature


Psst... Follow my blog with Bloglovin!

2 comments:

  1. Is there anyway you could email me the instructions for the clipchart? I've tried to make it and it is not turning out as I'd like. Thanks jpgreer10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete