Friday, July 29, 2016

Classroom Hand Signals


We've all been there: You ask students a question, and one student raises his or her hand and says "Can I go to the bathroom?"

My first year teaching, my school had a well-oiled system for preventing this: Hand signals. Students were taught from the first day of school the proper ways to ask to use the restroom and get water. Now, instead of interrupting the teacher during a whole group or small group lesson to go to the restroom or get water, the student simply needed to use a silent hand signal. Imagine a world where a raised hand actually meant that a student had a question or an answer! ;) Even the three and four year olds would not interrupt a school-wide performance to scream "I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM!!!" They simply put up the hand signal and looked at their teacher, who would nod yes or no.

I love using these hand signals. Two years ago, I made some signs for these hand signals to help my students at my new school learn them too. I keep them taped low along the left side of my BrainBoard (SmartBoard) so that they are in plain sight for my second graders. Even students who are new to the class (sidenote: Why do I get new students once a month?!) were quickly able to learn how to use the clearly labeled hand signals.

And then I was moved to ESL.

While most of the students were still able to read the signs and use the signals, I had a student (let's call him Kevin) who changed everything I knew about classroom signs. Kevin moved to Texas from Brazil, and spoke not a single word of English. He also happened to be nearly deaf in BOTH ears, AND his hearing aids were broken. His vision was also partially impaired. Oh. And in Brazil (bless his naughty little heart) he was in a SpEd-only school. But since he had no paperwork in the US, I had to do my best to serve him until he could get what he needed.

Teaching him English was harder than usual, since he could not hear the words were were saying. While he was only in my class for three or four months before he moved again, he only learned a few words of English, and NONE of my hand signals. He seemed to think the symbol that was supposed to be for the restroom was what you used to tattle on someone. Oy. This showed me that I CLEARLY needed a better display of classroom signage for hand signals.

Cue the signs with pictures. This summer I spent some time adding pictures next to each of my hand signals to help my students who can't yet read, and those who do not speak English. I know this will help aid in comprehension for years to come. Will I make my ESL students eventually learn how to ask for the restroom in English? Of course. But for a little while, they will have the security of knowing that they can easily ask for their basic needs.

Here are some examples of the hand signals that I use in my room!



Restroom: Sign language R. Although, let's be real, I tell the students you make your fingers look like legs that look like they're doing a "potty dance." This is a much better visual for them to remember ;)

Tissue: Two fingers. Not sure why it's two fingers, but that's what my old school used, and it just sort of stuck with me!

Water: Sign language "W". No explanation needed. Unless you're 7, and then you need to have it explained to you.

I Need Something: A fist in the air. I created this one so that students can ask for permission to get out of their seat from across the room. This is by far the hardest one for them to remember to use, since they just want to get out of their seat!

Comment/Story: One finger. This is for them to use when they have a very important and totally related to the lesson story to share. This helps me know who to call on when I want an actual answer to something I asked, not a random story.

Question/Answer: Hand raised. The usual. I do have to explain this to them usually, because they don't realize that when they raise their hand, they are usually always putting up five fingers! We also call this a "silent five" because the five fingers shouldn't be accompanied by a mouth talking ;)

Here are my NEW posters with pictures!


If only little Kevin had these when he was in my class, his life would have been much easier. If you'd like to purchase these super cute signs, I have both versions together in a single pack on TPT! I'm slowly turning my room into Neon RAINBOW themed, so check my store frequently for new items that match. I recently uploaded this cute clip chart, too! Click the words under the images below to find the items on TPT!
Hand Signal Signs
Neon RAINBOW Clip Chart


Until next time,

Mischief Managed.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment